Sunday 5 January 2014

The Destruction of an Australian Landmark


What am I?
  • The world’s largest reef system, stretching 2300 kilometres
  • Can be seen from outer space
  • Home to breathtaking marine plants and animal life such as coral, jellyfish, fish, sharks, rays, whales and dolphins


Hopefully you would have guessed that I am talking about the Great Barrier Reef. Last year, I was lucky enough to go scuba diving in the beautiful Australian landmark. It was such an amazing experience, I remember the water being sky blue and the creatures being bright and magical. Like nothing I had ever seen before.



I was browsing my Facebook news feed and came across a post about the Abbott Government approving a coal port to be built in the Great Barrier Reef. I could not believe what I was reading, so I did some more research and read that this shocking statement was actually TRUE.

I came across an article that stated that the Abbott Government approved that a massive coal port would be built about 50 kilometres north of the Whitsunday Islands, which is located in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef. The dredge soil will be dumped into the Great Barrier Reef.

“The expansion would make the Great Barrier Reef the world’s largest coal port”


It is unbelievably sad that this development has been approved. It is going to create HUGE problems for the marine plants and animal life that call the Great Barrier Reef their home. I can not even imagine what damage the dredging will create for the Great Barrier Reef at large. The Great Barrier Reef generates about 69,000 jobs and boosts our economy by approximately $5.68 BILLION in 2011-2012. The coal port is going to destroy the environment, communities and peoples livelihoods.

Recent reports state that the decision on whether to allow the coal port expansion has been delayed till Friday 31st January 2014 but more action is needed...

Please support ‘Save the Reef’ by signing the petition to save the Great Barrier Reef and jumping on Twitter or Facebook by sharing this image; 


Until next time! :) 

1 comment:

  1. This project may put the reef in extreme danger, a very big concern to all. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

    ReplyDelete