Monday 20 January 2014

An inhumane "cultural tradition"


I’m referring to the drive hunt dolphin killing that occurs in Taiji, Japan. Every year, fishermen and divers gather hundreds of dolphins into a secluded bay where they select a few dozen to sell to marine parks and aquariums and brutally kill the rest for their meat. It’s an annual dolphin hunt made famous by an Academy Award-winning documentary called the “The Cove” which shows the bloody and cruel slaughter of dolphins in Japan.

I feel that the documentary caught the attention of its viewers, but also millions of people around the world. I haven’t actually watched the documentary because I know that I wouldn’t be able to handle watching the brutal scenes - I feel physically ill just looking at some of the images. I think it's important to share this information with people and that's exactly what I'm trying to do here through blogging about. I’m extremely disgusted by the inhumane actions of Japanese fishermen and divers and I’m sure I’m not the only one. US Ambassador Caroline Kennedy took to Twitter saying, “Deeply concerned by inhumanness of drive hunt dolphin killing”.  

Yoshihide Suga (Japan’s Chief Cabinent Secretary) defends the actions of Japanese fishermen and divers stating...

“Dolphin fishing is a form of traditional fishing in our country”

 

Today, dolphin drive hunting is banned in Hawaii so here’s hoping that Japan is next to stop the unjust slaughter of innocent dolphins.


Please show your support by signing a petition to stop the brutal killing of these magnificent creatures. I showed my support by signing a petition called 'Global Olympic Dolphins' that I found at https://www.causes.com/olympicdolphins. The petition is asking the International Olympic Committee to NOT consider Japan's Toyko 2020 Olympic bid, until the Japanese Government agrees to make dolphin hunting illegal in Japan. Please help us put an end to dolphin hunts in Taiji. 

References


ABC Environment 2014, Japanese fishermen capture dolphins ahead of slaughter, ABC, accessed 21 January 2014, <http://www.abc.net.au/environment/articles/2014/01/20/3928424.htm>.  

The Age 2014, Dolphin slaughter begins in Taiji as protests grow, Fairfax Media, accessed 21 January 2014, <http://www.theage.com.au/environment/dolphin-slaughter-begins-in-taiji-as-protests-grow-20140121-316d5.html>.  


Until next time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment