Friday 20 December 2013

What is Global Citizenship?


Hi all,

I have enrolled in a summer course called global citizenship. We are required to start a blog as part of the course and we will be marked on our blogs at the end of the summer.

My blog 'Lets Talk Global' is going to address issues that are occurring locally and globally. Some of these issues have been brought to my attention whilst undertaking this course and I want to share them with you guys. I feel that these issues need to be addressed as they could be detrimental to the environment and its people.   

I did not really understand the term global citizenship until I attended the first seminar day. I learnt that global citizenship aims to empower people through knowledge, values, beliefs, culture, experiences and behaviour. These concepts are interconnected and shape the way that we view the world.




Also, I actually learnt something really shocking about myself at the first seminar day … I cannot draw a map of the world to save my life. We had to do a group task where our teacher asked us to draw a map of the world. Anyway, I could hardly contribute to the group discussion. I had no idea about where the continents were situated, the name of the countries, capital cities or any landmarks. I obviously did not want to say anything embarrassing so I just sat back in my chair and watched. It was really terrible. I was thinking to myself the whole time “you should really know this”. I actually shocked myself because I thought I knew more about the world. My mother would be horrified if she knew about this, so shhhh!.

Anyway, I am going to study the continents of the world. I have high hopes that I will be able to draw a map of the world by the end of summer.

Until next time! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment